When you should apply to MBA programs — which year, and whether you should target Round 1 or Round 2 in that year — is an important decision.
In which year should you apply?
MBA programs prefer to admit candidates with 4-5 years of pre-MBA work experience upon matriculation because:
- They want students to have interesting experiences to share in classroom discussions
- Many post-MBA employers prefer 5+ years of pre-MBA work experience
- Students with 4-5 years of experience are likely to have a few leadership experiences, which prepares them well for further leadership development.
The admissions officers sometimes get a bit of advice from their friends in the career development office, too.
In which round should you apply?
This depends on many factors, including:
- Will the school see a lot of applicants with a similar profile to yours?
- Have you completed the necessary preparation for making a quality application, like school networking?
- Do you have enough time remaining to do your best work on the applications?
Watch this video to figure out when your best application round will be:
Originally appeared on Menlo Coaching.